Right before the biggest sale season of the year—Black Friday—analysts from Picodi.com conducted research and a survey among Nigerians. The results of the research reveal what we can expect from Black Friday this year. From this report you’ll learn, among other things, if you can trust the sales that will be offered, what’s the consumers’ attitude toward Black Friday and how much Nigerians are going to spend during Black Friday shopping spree which starts on 23rd November.
Buyers will not waste the opportunity to save money on shopping. 1 out of 4 of the surveyed Nigerians admitted that they’re going to take part in the upcoming Black Friday sales. This is most likely the result of marketing campaigns—only 5 years ago Black Friday in Nigeria didn’t stir up as many emotions as in the USA or the United Kingdom.
There are other numbers that confirm the serious intentions of consumers on that day. 86% of buyers save money just to do shopping. Let’s remember that Black Friday sales are usually associated with electronics and housewares which are the best-selling products. The remaining 14% declared that they earn enough to afford some bigger shopping.
During Black Friday, Nigerians are going to do some serious shopping. Most consumers (36%) are going to buy 2-3 products, and 21% are going to go on a shopping spree and buy more than 5 items. What’s more, 36% of buyers already have an idea what’s going to end up in their baskets. This can be due to the infinite number of guides to what’s worth buying and how to find the biggest discounts.
Black Friday symbolically opens the season of pre-Christmas sales. That’s why it’s a great opportunity for those who start searching for gifts in advance. 14% of consumers will take advantage of Black Friday exactly for this purpose—to buy Christmas gifts. However, in Nigeria Black Friday is an occasion to get a present for yourself (64% of respondents chose this answer) or to buy something for your household (32%).
Multiple reports about fake sales have no effect on experienced clients. 73% of respondents claim that they can find the real discounts among all the Black Friday offers and only 27% say that the sales are fictional and unworthy of the attention of consumers. Let’s remind that according to the last year’s statistics the average discount during Black Friday in Nigeria reached 55%.
The results of the surveys show that an average woman will spend more money on sales than an average man: 18000 NGN and 16700 NGN respectively.
Which age group is the most interested in Black Friday discounts? To check this out, we looked at last year’s statistics and compared the number of visits to our website on a regular Friday and on Black Friday. We noted a huge increase in traffic among all age groups. However, the biggest interest was among people aged 18-24 and 25-34: the growth of traffic reached 2096% and 1601% respectively.
The statistics also say that mobile devices dominated desktops. 58% of consumers did their shopping on mobile phones on Black Friday, 6% used tablets and 36% used desktops.
In the report, we used internal statistical data of the discount platform Picodi.com as well as the results of the survey conducted between 25th and 31th October 2018.
Are you willing to share our statistics or infographics about Black Friday with your readers? Feel free to use all the data and infographics presented in this report for both commercial and non-commercial purposes as long as you indicate the author of the research (Picodi.com) with a link to this subpage.
Are you a journalist or a blogger and are looking for information about the preferences of consumers in Nigeria and other countries? We’d be glad to share both internal statistics and forecasts with estimations. Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.