The leading e-commerce market in Southeast Asia
With the e-commerce industry in Southeast Asia growing at a faster than ever rate, online shoppers' decision of what online platform to select for their online spending is becoming more and more difficult to make due to the opening of new online stores every year. Many of them claim to be the best in the business but few live up to the expectations of the most demanding customers. Shopee is definitely one platform that's not going to let anyone down!
Apart from being the leader in the e-commerce industry in Southeast Asia, Shopee also has a strong presence in Taiwan. The rise of Shopee to become the number one e-commerce platform in the region is one of the fastest in the industry, the company being founded just back in 2015 in Singapore.
Funded by the Sea Group (previously known as Garena) and after an immediate success in Singapore, Shopee quickly expanded to other markets in the Southeast Asia region and opened branches in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines and also Taiwan.
Shopee at the early beginnings looked quite a different platform than it is now. After the 2015 launch in Singapore, Shopee was clearly just a social-first, mobile-centric marketplace created for users to buy from others as well as sell their own products "on the go". In the first few months of Shopee's existence, the platform was available in the form of a mobile app only. Thanks to integration with logistical and payment support, it made the app users' buying and selling process easy and secure from anywhere.
After a huge success of the app and the growing interest in the then-startup, Shopee decided to boost the profile of the company by creating a website that aimed to rival and then topple other fast-growing e-commerce platforms in the region including Lazada, Tokopedia and Bukalapak.
A few years later, it is fair to say the mission has proved to be a success, with well over 100 visitors every month making the most of the top quality shopping experience at Shopee. It's worth to point out that the thing that differentiates Shopee from other marketplaces the most is that the platform offers its users a feature called "Shopee Guarantee". Shopee Guarantee makes sure that there's a minimum to none occurrence of scams at the website by releasing the funds to sellers only after a buyer confirms he has received the goods and is satisfied with the product.
Shopee business model
As mentioned above, Shopee started out as an app-only mobile platform. At the beginnings, Shopee was offering only C2C (consumer-to-consumer) transactions. Right now, with Shopee websites working in full swing across Southeast Asia, it is a combination of C2C and B2C (business-to-consumer) hybrid model.
Shopee further stands out from its competitors by not charging sellers with commission and listing fees - selling your products at the platform is completely free so apart from being a great place to buy for consumers like you, it's also a fabulous way of growing one's own business.
Since Shopee itself doesn't list any products but is a marketplace for small, medium and big businesses to do so, it's natural it doesn't own any inventory or warehouse. Shopee relies on third parties when it comes to logistics. To make the process of delivering your products safe and prompt, Shopee co-operates with over 70 courier providers across the Southeast Asia and Taiwan markets. In Singapore, logistical support is provided by the leaders in the industry, Ninjavan, whereas in Malaysia and Indonesia the platform relies on Pos Malaysia and Pos Indonesia, respectively.
Being a marketplace used for listing of products by hundreds, if not thousands, of big brands and small-to-medium businesses, Shopee offers a huge variety of shopping categories. If you look closely enough, you can find discounts on basically any product you might be looking for. Due to a huge number of sellers, some might offer the same product for a much smaller price.
Shopee most popular product categories include:
- Fashion - in this category you can find both branded and non-branded fashion products for both men and women. Fashion is a very broad category full of jaw-dropping items offered at competitive prices. Items like shoes, dresses, t-shirts are the most frequently browsed collections although just as popular are accessories that go with them - handbags, belts, bags and wallets. Whatever your budget is, a complete wardrobe overhaul is definitely possible at Shopee... let it be with non-expensive individual sellers' collections or global brand products from the likes of Nike, Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger.
- Electronics - tech geeks, this should resemble a paradise for you. At Shopee there's not a single tech product you will struggle to find. Are you looking for the newest iPhone or Samsung mobile release? It's here. Want to upgrade your PC? Shopee's got you covered, too! There are probably as many top quality electronics providers available at Shopee as there for fashion. From cheap gadgets starting at as little as RM5 to branded devices from tech giants like Samsung, iPhone, Nokia and more.
- Home & Living - feeling like your home could do with some refurbishing? Products in Shopee's home & living section will make sure you can that at an affordable price. Whether it is a new table with which you want to bring some freshness into your kitchen, a wardrobe that will finally be able to fit in all of your clothes or some home appliances like the growing-in-popularity wall stickers, Shopee's product offer should make you more than satisfied.
- Kids & Baby - category for the caring parents. In the baby & kids collection at Shopee you will find all the stuff necessary for your children's safe and sound adolescence. Products included: baby and kids clothing, accessories, furniture and, naturally, TOYS.
- Tickets & Vouchers - this category is great for entertainment purposes, ie. getting a discounted ticket to a cinema for your favourite movie or a voucher for a romantic dinner at one of your favourite restaurants in town. On top of that, Shopee tickets & vouchers section enables you to reload your mobile and pay your bills.
It is worth remembering that the top 5 shopping categories listed above are, um, just that - top 5 shopping categories. There are tens of subcategories available for each so one thing is for sure - by shopping at Shopee you will be spoiled for choice.
One of the new additions for users of the platform is the Shopee Mart. It is a great feature for shoppers who basically hate queueing up in local supermarkets and wasting their precious time and energy on daily basis.
Shopee Mart has all that you need for your everyday life - ranging from groceries, personal care products, household goods and pet supplies. Moreover, if you shop smartly (as most of the Shopee users do...), on top of saving your time, you can also save money! Shopee Mart is a section at the platform that contains a huge number of discounted products.
What's even more encouraging, Shopee Mart users can enjoy a free shipping on the first Shopee Mart order via the Shopee mobile app. Full instruction available below!
Shopee Lowest Price Guarantee
Another great feature available at Shopee is the Lowest Price Guaranteed section. Using this type of Shopee promotion you can find fashion, electronics, health & beauty, home essentials and baby/kids products at the lowest price on the market!
How does Shopee Lowest Guarantee work?
To put it in the easiest way possible, Lowest Price Guarantee is Shopee's assurance on price for all the platform users. It works in a very straight-forward way: if you like a certain product(s) in this section but find it available for a smaller price at one of Shopee's competitors on your market, Shopee will reward you with 120% the price difference. For full Terms & Condtions of this offer, click here.
Shopee Global Daily Deals
This section is another that makes Shopee stand out from its competitors. Shopping on the Global Daily Deals page, you can enjoy the best picks from manufacturers and sellers from Chinatown, Taiwan and directly from South Korea.
What's more, even though you are located in Malaysia, Shopee will guarantee you free shipping on all collections listed on this page.
Shopee Coins Reward
Shopee's reward program. Once you are a registered Shopee Malaysia user, and you can become one by clicking here, you will get rewarded with Shopee coins for every purchase you make at the platform (excluding buys from Tickets & Vouchers category).
How do you earn Shopee coins?
Coins are received after your order is completed - meaning after you click "Order Received". The amount of coins you acquire depends on your order's final price (minus any discounts and excluding possible shipping fees).
You will get 1 Shopee Coin for every RM1 you spent at the platform. The threshold is 100 Shopee coins per order although you can earn a maximum of 150 Shopee coins a day or 300 coins a week.
What to do with Shopee coins?
Shopee coins are redeemable. You can use the coins to redeem various Shopee vouchers using the Coins Reward page in your user's account.
Redeeming Shopee vouchers with your coins is super easy. Once on your Coins Rewards page, select a voucher you want to redeem and click the "Redeem" button next to it. After that, click on the "Copy" button and your voucher's promo code will get copied into your clipboard.
The last step is to simply paste the Shopee voucher code in the coupon code box during checkout. Voila!
Currently there are 4 ways of paying for your order at Shopee. You can do so by using:
- Credit/Debit card – all the card payments are processed through thirdparty platforms and are probably the quickest method out there. Shopee Malaysia supports Visa and Mastercard.
- Standard Bank Transfer – if you feel unsafe with using your credit card online, you can make an ATM transfer or eBanking transfer to one of the Shopee Guarantee bank accounts listed at the website.
- Online Banking – a more secure online transfer available to conduct from banks such as Maybank, AmBank, Hong Leong Bank, CIMB Bank.
- Shopee Wallet – should you have enough funds from your sales and refunds, you can use this payment method to pay for your order.
Shopee offers free delivery to its users for most of the time through the use of free shipping voucher codes that you can find at Picodi Malaysia.
Shopee delivery time
Depending on your location and the location of the seller you are purchasing the goods from, delivery lead time might vary.
If you are buying from a seller in East Malaysia, you can expect your order to be delivered in a maximum period of 7 days – no matter what location you are in. If you are ordering from a seller in West Malaysia, you need to allow up to 7 days of delivery time if you are located in East Malaysia and up to 3 days if you reside in the western part of the country.
It is possible to request a return of your order if the item you received proves to be damaged or different from the one you ordered in the first place. For a successful return process, you need to send back the items to the seller’s address within 3 days of the return request being accepted by the seller.
Should the seller not agree with your request, you can send it to the Shopee Dispute Team.
Shopee promotions and sale events
Shopee offers hundreds of promotions throughout the year – let it be in form of sale events or voucher codes. However, there are few Shopee sale events that stand out from others:
- Shopee 9.9 sale – hosted on the 9th of September every year. Discounts across various categories by up to 90% and can be further boosted with 9.9 voucher codes.
- Shopee 11.11 sale – hosted on the 11th of November every year. You can enjoy savings of up to 95% shopping during this event with the use of 11.11 voucher codes.
- Shopee Black Friday sale – a sale event gaining more popularity with each year. Promotions across all categories of up to 80%. Further discounts available with the use of Black Friday vouchers.
- Shopee 12.12 sale – takes place on the 12th of December every year. Probably the most attended Shopee sale event due to it being the last one of this kind in the calendar year. Savings of up to 95% available.
To make sure you don’t miss neither of the promotional events at Shopee, make sure to visit Picodi often by typing into Google “Shopee Picodi vouchers”. We will have you sorted any day!